They are characterized by:
- By the takeover of Haldor Topsoe in Denmark, PVA Crystal Growing Systems GmbH has decades of experience in the field of Float Zone (FZ) system construction
- Long-term cooperation with the technology leader in the field of high frequency generators. The selection of the appropriate generator and its adaptation to the respective FZ system is essential for an optimal performance of the system
- Solutions adapted to each system type for critical components such as doping gas systems or recooling systems
- PVA Crystal Growing Systems pursues continuous development in the areas of system design, automation and process development. This includes cooperations with the most renowned German research institutes
- Higher cost efficiency and sustainability compared to competing processes
The Float Zone (FZ) technology offers the possibility to produce ultra pure silicon monocrystals with high resistivity for applications in the field of high performance electronics and semiconductor technology. Another advantage is the possibility of continuous doping from the gas phase, which enables a homogeneous resistivity distribution over the complete crystal length. As a result, the desired electrical properties can be achieved homogeneously over virtually the entire crystal. Due to the high charge carrier lifetimes and due to low degradation as a result of the extremely low oxygen content (crucible-free process), FZ crystals are also suitable for photovoltaics.
Compared to competing methods such as the Czochralski process, the FZ process offers the advantage of lower costs for consumables (no quartz crucibles to be used only once), lower energy costs, since only a small area of the crystal in the immediate vicinity of the induction coil has to be melted, and a significantly higher pulling speed. Furthermore, it is possible to increase the purity of crystals - both from silicon and from other suitable materials - significantly step by step through multiple processing.